Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Honolulu Coffee Company in Odaiba, Japan and Honolulu, Hawaii


Well, to start, I love coffee.  I love going to coffee shops.  You are going to see various coffee shop reviews here in the next few months and years. Why do I love coffee shops so much?  Nothing beats 1. Having free time, 2. the caffeine boost from the coffee, 3. the opportunity to learn more by studying books, notes, etc., 4. listening to jazz, bossa nova, or whatever music the coffee shop is playing, and 5. often having attractive people around you (I like watching people) doing the same thing you are doing.

Of all coffees, I feel that Kona is king.  It just tastes so good compared to the others.  Here in Tokyo, a normal bag (the size you see at  Starbucks, supermarkets, etc.) of 100% Kona coffee will easily set you back 35 bucks while you can get the same in Oahu for 9.95.  There used to be a Hawaii coffee joint in Jimbocho called Bad Ass Coffee but unfortunately it closed.  It was pretty well-themed, all the way from the spam musubi to the picture of the Duke on the wall.  Luckily, there still is one in Makuhari.

Recently, while visiting Odaiba, I was able to go to Honolulu Coffee at the food court of Diver City.  They have 100% Kona and an assortment of things that Japanese people believe that Hawaiian coffee shops should have such as pancakes and melted cheese sandwiches.  I believe that Honolulu Coffee is a licensee/franchisee (it might be company owned though) of Honolulu Coffee Company in Honolulu, and I suspect for trademark reasons, the Company portion could not be added to the name here in Japan.  If a licensee/franchisee, I was surprised at the poor quality of the Honolulu Coffee sign as it was pixilated, like it was a computer graphic blown up to the proportion of the sign (not pictured).  If I were a licensor/franchisor, I would definitely want approval rights over something as important as signs.  However, the coffee was great and the pancakes were pretty good.  I think breakfast was something around 2,500 yen or 30 dollars.  That said, I give Honolulu Coffee four out of five Kona shots for the all-around experience.
It was pretty crowded
Nice artwork
 Pancakes, a truly Hawaiian meal.
 Nice decor

Well, not too long after my trip to Honolulu Coffee, I was in Honolulu and was actually able to have coffee at Honolulu Coffee Company at Ala Moana Mall.  Much cheaper, I think my Kona was something like 3 dollars.  
The sign looked much better too.  


Honolulu Coffee Company actually had a sign talking about the Odaiba location.   


I look forward to going to both locations again.

No comments:

Post a Comment