Thursday, August 30, 2012

Romy's Prawns and Shrimp, Kahuku, Oahu




I'll add my second post about Hawaii, the first added two days ago in my discussion about Honolulu Coffee Company at Ala Moana MallRomy's is the second of two shrimp trucks/shacks that we went to a few months ago, and from what I ordered, it was my favorite of the two.  Had I ordered identical items from both of them I could do a better comparison.  I'll write about Giovanni's, the other shrimp truck, next week.  In this regard, what I ordered at Giovanni's tasted great too.

We went to the shrimp shacks/trucks in succession as they were on the same street and we were pretty hungry.  One thing about the shrimp trucks, they are great, but are not the cheapest.  You'll be paying at least 12 bucks for a plate of 12-15 shrimp (more money if you get prawns, and less prawns than shrimp).  But in my opinion it is well worth it; they are absolutely delicious.  Here are some pics and comments. 

Well, we got there around 4:30ish and here is a picture of the establishment.  Seating is all outdoors, so I expect it could get pretty hot in the summer.  There are bathrooms in the back and a facility to wash your hands.






I ordered prawns and li hing mui flavored pineapple (Chinese dried plum flavor, unique to Hawaii (in America at least)).   The woman at the counter looked behind her and asked if they still had prawns left and I quickly became horrified that there would be none left for us.  I was relieved when the cook told her that there were some left for us.  A pound of prawns was 18 dollars and the pineapple was 4 dollars.   After waiting for about 15 minutes (there were not many people around because it was not 5 or 6 yet), my number was called and I brought the food to our table. Here it is:




The pineapple was delicious, very fresh and full of the li hing mui flavor.



The prawns were, well, to die for.  They were the little red superstars of my Hawaii trip.  The prawns were roughly the size of hand (fingers and palm; I'd say I have average-sized hands).  They were crunchy and juicy all at the same time, perfectly cooked.  In fact, they were like little lobsters.  I savored the tails, but what I really liked was sucking the head and all the stuff in there.  I was sad when I downed the sixth one.  Right now, I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.  We will definitely head back to Romy's for the prawns next time.

Romy's has an option where you can fish for your own shrimp and then have them cooked.  If we have more time next time, I think that would be pretty fun.

In closing, I give Romy's five out of five prawns for the prawns and pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment